Question: I Have Been Injured Whilst on a Cruise Ship – What Do I Need to Know”
Regrettably accidents do happen at the most inopportune time. Vacations on a cruise ship are no exception.
Here are a few things you should know if injured on a cruise ship:
- Seek appropriate medical assistance – cruise ships will have available a medical centre staffed by qualified healthcare professionals.
- As soon as you are able to do so, make a note of the date, time and location of the accident. Write out in detail the circumstances of the accident. A contemporaneous note can prove invaluable if later on you are called upon to establish what in fact occurred. It is also important, if possible, to take photographs of the accident site. In addition the name and contact details for any witnesses should also be ascertained.
- It is also important to note where the ship was located at the time of the accident. That is, was it docked at a port or at sea?
- Keep a copy of your cruise ship paperwork. This will include your ticket/contract which may contain an exclusive jurisdiction clause which can determine the court in which you are able to bring any claim that is available to you.
- Consider the coverage that your travel insurance offers. A policy of travel insurance may cover you for all medical expenses incurred whilst on board the cruise ship. Travel insurance however does not usually extend to cover you for ongoing medical treatment and other losses arising from the accident.
- Contact Brydens Lawyers as soon as possible for advice as to whether a claim is available for compensation for the injuries which you have sustained. You may be entitled to claim:
- Non-economic loss or damages for pain and suffering
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future wage loss
- The value of past and future care or domestic assistance required by reason of injury
- A contribution towards your legal costs.
Strict time limits apply with respect to the prosecution of any claim for any injury suffered and claims arising from injuries suffered on a cruise ship may be limited to only two years from the date of the injury otherwise the claim will be statute barred.
For expert legal advice and representation as to whether there is a claim for compensation available for injury sustained on a cruise ship contact Brydens Lawyers without delay.