Contracting an infection following a surgical procedure is relatively common but can have serious consequences including lengthy hospital stays, treatment with antibiotic medications which can cause toxicity and sometimes even amputation of limbs. There is also often a lengthy period of incapacity for work and other everyday activities and a high requirement for care.
It is also possible to have the same experience with an infection contracted outside of hospital. The source of these infections is often not able to be identified but a failure in timely or adequate treatment still has the same potentially devastating consequences.
If diagnosis or treatment of an infection is delayed or the wrong treatment administered you may have a medical negligence claim. Infection claims are some of the most difficult claims in the area of medical negligence and you will need an experienced, skilled and capable team of medical negligence lawyers to assist you with your claim.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE
TO MAKE A CLAIM?
If you have suffered an injury, loss or damage as a result of the an infection post treatment provided by a doctor, dentist, hospital or other health care provider you may be entitled to a claim for damages.
A poor outcome resulting from your treatment does not in itself establish an entitlement to claim. What needs to be proven is that your infection was cause from the treatment provided in a negligent manner and that the treatment provider breached their duty of care to you.
WHY ARE BRYDEN’S LAWYERS THE RIGHT REPRESENTATION FOR YOU?
Brydens Lawyers are the experts in the prosecution of medical negligence cases with a dedicated medical negligence department and panel of medical experts available to give evidence in court against doctors, hospitals or other health care practitioners who have been negligent in the treatment of their patients.
Brydens Lawyers specialise in reviewing medical records, liaising with medical experts and explaining complicated legal and medical issues to our clients in a way that they will understand. This is to ensure that clients of Brydens Lawyers are kept fully and properly informed every step of the way so that they can understand the process and what is involved in the bringing of a successful medical negligence claim.
Brydens Lawyers operates as a ‘No Win – No Fee”, policy which, simply put, provides that if a personal injury or compensation client is unsuccessful in their claim then Brydens Lawyers will not raise a tax invoice for having acted on behalf of the client. That is, if the claim is unsuccessful we do not get paid. More information about how this works can be found on our No Win – No Fee page.
WHAT ARE YOU
ABLE TO CLAIM?
The types of damages available in medical negligence claims can include:
- Non-economic loss which includes damages for pain and suffering;
- Past and future medical expenses and out of pocket expenses;
- Loss of income and any damage done to your ability to earn an income in the future;
- Past and future loss of superannuation benefits;
- Past and future paid services such as home cleaning or nursing assistance;
- The value of services provided to you by family and friends without charge;
- Past and future medical aids and equipment such as wheelchairs;
- Home modifications such as those required to make a home wheelchair accessible;
- Vehicle modifications;
- Additional costs incurred in connection with continuing disabilities, for example, additional cost of holidays due to special needs;
- A contribution towards your legal costs and disbursements.
Damages are very specific to each individual’s situation and assessing your claim for damages will be a central part of the service provided to you by our medical negligence team.
WHEN SHOULD YOU CONSULT A LAWYER ABOUT MAKING A CLAIM?
If you have suffered from any form of medical negligence then you need to engage proper legal advice and representation. There are strict time limits around lodging a medical negligence claim, so even if your treatment is ongoing, you must consult a legal representative early to ensure your claim is lodged within the allowed timeframe.
WE DO MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE CLAIMS WELL. HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES:
- Our client was exposed to Hepatitis C during a routine colonoscopy as a result of the hospital’s failure to comply with infection control measures. She was entitled to claim for her pain and suffering as well as past and future out of pocket expenses.
- Our client received injections to his spine which were administered using contaminated instruments. She consequently developed septicaemia and a variety of complications including kidney failure. She is entitled to claim for her pain and suffering, past and future out of pocket expenses and past and future care and assistance.
- Our client underwent breast augmentation and abdominoplasty surgery. Her symptoms of infection were repeatedly dismissed resulting in her developing septicaemia. She was entitled to claim for her pain and suffering, past and future medical expenses, past and future loss of income and care and assistance needs.
LATEST NEWS FROM LEE
Well here we are, the beginning of yet another year. 2019 presents as the year of challenges and incredible opportunities. It is a time for us to build upon the success of 2018 and to ensure that Brydens Lawyers continues to establish itself as the pre-eminent law firm in NSW.
I am very excited about the year ahead. Brydens Lawyers will maintain its sponsorship of numerous NRL Clubs but this year adds the South Sydney Rabbitohs to its stable of stars. January also brings about an end to the season for the Brydens Lawyers Sydney Uni Flames.
CONTACT US TODAY
LIVERPOOL HEAD OFFICE
Lvl 2, 203 Northumberland Street,
Liverpool NSW 2170
OFFICES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Adamstown Erina Parramatta
Albury Goulburn Redfern
Bankstown Leichhardt Sydney City
Blacktown Miranda Tamworth
Campbelltown Newcastle Wagga Wagga
Chatswood Nowra Wollongong