I have suffered an injury whilst on public transport, what can I do?

If you have suffered injury due to an accident involving a public transport vehicle, such as a bus or a train, you may be entitled to claim compensation against the owner or operator of that vehicle.

A successful compensation claim can help you recover any lost income, medical expenses, the cost of domestic care as well as perhaps damages for your pain and suffering caused by the injuries.

There are very specific laws which apply to the making of a claim for injury arising out of the use of public transport. For example, an accident on a bus may be prosecuted under the provisions of the Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017. An accident at a railway station arising from the boarding or disembarking of a train, for example, would be dealt with very differently.

Accordingly, if you have suffered injury as a result of the use of public transport, then expert legal advice and representation should be sought without delay as strict time limits will apply to any claim that may be available. To assist your legal representative it would be helpful if you:

  • Obtained as much information as you can concerning the public transport vehicle including its registration number, the name of the driver, details of any witnesses as well as taking photographs of the accident site.

  • Report the accident to the New South Wales Police and the relevant public transport company as soon as possible.

  • Seek medical treatment for the injuries sustained.

    Brydens Lawyers are experts in the prosecution of claims of injury sustained as a result of the use of public transport and can provide specialised legal advice and representation to ensure that you recover the compensation to which you are entitled. Strict time limits can apply to do not delay in contacting Brydens Lawyers on 1800 848 848 or at brydens.com.au. At Brydens Lawyers – #WE DO public transport claims.